AGE CATEGORIES / ATTENDING AN EVENT / COMMUNITY GAMES:
AAI AGE CATEGORIES FOR 2023
For all Athletic Clubs affiliated with the Athletic Association of Ireland Age categories are calculated to the 31st of December in the year of competition, i.e., the age your child turns between January 1st and December 31st.
- No athlete may obtain a birthday in the year of competition and compete in that age.
- Some Cross Country Events are ‘even’ age only or ‘uneven’ age only. If your child’s age category is not listed then they compete in the next age group up.
- For further information click 👉 Athletics Louth Operational Booklet / Athletics Leinster Event Booklets / Athletics Ireland Juvenile Competition Booklet
- For the Year 2023 (January 1st to December 31st 2023)…
|Born 2016||Under 8||Born 2012||Under 12||Born 2008||Under 16|
|Born 2015||Under 9||Born 2011||Under 13||Born 2007||Under 17|
|Born 2014||Under 10||Born 2010||Under 14||Born 2006||Under 18|
|Born 2013||Under 11||Born 2009||Under 15||Born 2005||Under 19|
ATTENDING AN EVENT
Parents, please read the following guidelines on attending an event and if you have any further queries please speak to your child’s coach or WhatsApp the club mobile:
AAI – All events attended by our Juveniles are AAI approved (Athletic Association of Ireland approved) and all competitors must be Club and AAI registered – To register or renew your membership click 👉 JOIN.
EVENT ATTENDANCE – We require that all parents confirm their child’s availability to attend the Louth, Leinster & National events listed in ‘Track & Field’ and/or ‘Cross Country’ 3 weeks before each event. The Club is bound by a 2 week deadline for the entry and payment of our athletes and your co-operation would be deeply appreciated (if you are late confirming your attendance please contact our Club Registrar).
EVENT MEETING POINT – When attending an event look out for our Club Flag or Club Tent. We require all coaches and athletes meet at least 45 minutes before the event start time (or your child’s race start time). This allows time to attach race numbers, check out the race route/track facilities and complete the all important warm up.
EVENT CHANGES – Any changes to upcoming events will be given at training and/or published via a Club’s WhatsApp Notification service from the club’s mobile 085 765 4578 or posted on our Facebook page. Please save our Club Mobile No., to your phone’s Contact List to receive WhatsApp Notifications (if our mobile number is not saved to your phone you will not receive these notifications).
SINGLETS – All members must wear our Club Singlet when competing in Louth, Leinster & National Championships and at other open Cross Country & Track & Field events. A plain white t-shirt must be worn until a Singlet is purchased.
- Singlets can be ordered directly from our Club – WhatsApp our Club Mobile 085 765 4578.
- Sizes: 26 (ages 5/6); 28 (ages 7/8); 30 (ages 9/10); 32 (ages 11/12) – Price: €20.00
- Sizes: 34; 36; 38; 40; 42; 44; 46; 48 & 50 (for all ages from 13 years up) – Price: €25.00
- Other club t-shirts, 1/4 zip, jackets, hats/gloves, hi-vis, etc., can also be ordered through the club shop – click 👉 JOIN/CLUB SHOP.
SPIKES – Spikes are optional but advisable especially for competing members and at cross country events. Regarding Spike Pins… For Track & Field, ‘pyramid spikes’ must be no greater than 5mm especially on Mondo track surfaces (i.e., Morton Stadium, Tullamore Track) and for Cross Country, ‘pyramid spikes’ or ‘needle spikes’ can be up to 10mm in length. Our Juveniles use pyramid spikes only. For links to online shops to purchase spikes click 👉 JOIN/CLUB SHOP.
ROAD RACES/FUN RUNS – If you enter your child into a fun run/road race not listed on our juvenile schedule of events please ensure that you accompany your child in the race or have an appointed guardian to run with them (children aged 14 or under must be accompanied by a parent/guardian). Also, the wearing of club colours/singlets is not permitted. The following is an AAI Ruling regarding the attendance of underage athletes at 5ks, 10ks, etc….. “Juveniles can partake in races greater than that of their Age Group, but can only do so with parental/guardian consent and they CANNOT wear club colours/singlets: Age Groups – Up to 11yrs – 1.5k / 12-13yrs – 2k / 14-15yrs – 3k / 16-17yrs – 4k / 18yrs + 10k / The minimum threshold for a 5k is 16yrs & for a 10k is 18yrs”.
- Who can enter? – The Community Games run separately to the AAI (Athletic Association of Ireland) with their own rules & age categories and are open to all children in our community, not just club members so invite your family, friends and neighbours from your community (Our Area Community Games are Ardee/Reaghstown/Collon).
- What can I wear? – For the Community Games, ‘athletic club colours’ are not permitted, so no singlet. Spikes are not permitted for those children competing in the U8 & U10 age group events.
- Further Information – checkout these websites 👉 Community Games or Louth Community Games
- Competing Age Groups – athletic events both track & field – U8, U10, U12, U14, U16 (exception U13 & U15 Mixed 4x100m Relays).
- Athletic Events (please note – not all Area Games host all these events).
- U8 – 60m, 80m
- U10 – 100m, 200m 60m Hurdles
- U12 – 100m, 200m, 600m, Ball Throw, Long Puck
- U14 – 100m, 800m, 80m Hurdles, Javelin, Long Jump, Long Puck, Shot Put
- U16 – 100m, 200m, 1500m, Discus, High Jump
- Relays 4x 100m – U10 Mixed, U12 Girls, U12 Boys, U13 Mixed, U14 Girls, U14 Boys, U15 Mixed, U16 Girls, U16 Boys
- How to calculate your child’s age category – Click into the following link to see what Age Group your child can compete in. This is an online calculator on the Community Games Website – click 👉 Community Games Age Calculator.
- Ardee/Reaghstown/Collon Area Community Games – Tuesday, 16th May 2023 @6.30pm – hosted by Ardee & District AC, Boys’ School Field, Ardee (4 qualifiers in each event go to the Louths).
- Louth Community Games – Saturday, 28th May 2023 – Lourdes Stadium, Drogheda (4 qualifiers from each track event go to the Regionals and 1 qualifier from each field event goes direct to the Nationals with all qualifiers representing Louth and wearing the Louth County Singlet – To get one, Facebook message 👉 Louth Community Games Facebook page).
- Regional Community Games (Track events only) – Sat, 19th August 2023 – Tullamore, Co. Offaly (1 qualifier from each event goes through to the Nationals).
- National Community Games – TBC Sat/Sun, 26th/27th August 2023 – SETU Campus, Carlow.